Izmir, The Bike-Friendly City
In 2017, Izmir extended the 39-km-long cycle route to 90 km. As the first city to initiate the Bicycle Master Plan in Turkey, Izmir new goal is to enter the European Cycle Route Network “EUROVELO”.
With new cycle roads and the bicycle-sharing system BISIM that the Metropolitan Municipality brought into the city, bicycle use in Izmir is getting widespread. BISIM increased service capacity with 32 stops, 500 bicycles and 625 parking lots.
Proceeding its way in the aim of becoming “Bicycle City”, Izmir Metropolitan Municipality has created new routes such as: a double-sided 7-km-long bicycle road between Harmandali Koprulu Junction and Ulukent IZBAN station, another route extending from Camlik Recreation Area to the entrance of Kisikkoy Industrial Site in Gaziemir and between Ali Cetinkaya Boulevard and 1479 Street at Ikinci (Second), Kordon in Alsancak. A kilometer-long bike route between the Bostanlı Pier in Sahilevleri and Alaybey Shipyard is about to be completed.
The bike path leading over concrete floor in Goztepe has been reorganized by taking apart from the walking trail. Additional bicycle paths were established at the entrance of Yeni Foca, at Eski Foca Coastline, in Cesme Ciflikkoy and at the coastline between Uckuyular-Sasali in the city.
New Routes in 2017
In 2017, three major cycling routes will be in service. The cycling route on Kaptan Ibrahim Hakki Avenue, which connects Adnan Kahveci Koprulu Junction and Asik Veysel Recreation Area between Karsiyaka Yunuslar and Nergis-IZBAN station, will be opened to service.
10 km in the direction of Guzelbahce and Narlidere, a 6.5 km cycling route in Urla will be created. Another bicycle path between Bornova 4th Industrial Site-Aegean University Junction will be opened to service within the European FLOW project “Horizon 2020” which is based on “Cycle to the School”. Once only these projects come into life, the existing bicycle routes will extend to 90 kilometers. It is also projected a total of 24.5 km cycling road in the city and Cesme Dalyan, Ciftlikkoy, Menemen Seyrek, Bergama.
Summaries of Events Taken Place…
- For the first time in Turkey, studies have been started for Izmir Cycling Master Plan in Izmir.
- You can travel with your bike on Metro and IZBAN; for now, there are 60 buses with special bicycle handling apparatus.
- New cycling routes have been planned to enter the European Cycle Route Network EuroVelo, which will contribute to the development of bicycle routes and tourism sector in Izmir. EuroVelo 11 The East Europe Route, which ends in Athens, is planned to be linked to the Efes (Ephesus)-Mimas Route, serving historical, cultural and natural tourism on the north-south axis as an extension of the East Europe route.
- Izmir Metropolitan Municipality participated in the competition “EUROPEAN CYCLING CHALLENGE 2016” a competition that the cities where the use of bicycles was common compete with each other. The competition organized in Izmir for the first time in Turkey, the Izmir people cycled more than 72 thousand kilometers in a month and finished 17th place among 52 European cities. In 2017, other cities in Turkey will be participating in this competition and the infrastructure and campaign works in Izmir carry on in order to take a better place.
- To bring new bike routes to the city, “Yola Gel (Take the Road)” and “Bi Punta” cycling workshops were carried out.
- In order to exchange information on the international platform, Izmir participated in the FLOW Project, which is organized within the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Investment and Incentive Programs.
To find out the exact places of different cycle routs in Izmir, please check the link below: